Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:01:32 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Aristatos/Jman" wrote
in message
roups.com...
replying to Ed Huntress , Aristatos/Jman wrote:
huntres23 wrote:

Thanks again everyone, the answers are all really appreciated, and I
think
I understand, but just in case;

If I understand what has been said it does not matter if it is 1144
Stressproof or 4140, it is going to sag under its own weight if it
is 3/8"
X 4'. The treatment to the steel or the carbon percentage is only
going
to affect how far it can bend or twist while still being able to
return
to its original shape or before it will snap. Am I correct in my
thinking
on this? I haven't checked out all of the links that were provided,
but I
guess I could find a formula to see how much the sag will be at the
center?

Would it be the same with a chromium vanadium steel alloy, or
something
like that?

Thanks again everyone

You can buy a 24" length of hardened steel as a "bell hanger" drill
bit to experiment with and confirm that you are applying the formulas
correctly.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-3-...1780/203314945

-jsw

Those bits also have a convenient hole from which to hang your test weights. But, are they really hardened for their full length? Most drill bits are not hard at the chuck end, so that the chuck jaws can get some bite.