Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Aristatos Aristatos is offline

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

replying to Jman, Aristatos wrote:
Jman wrote:

I need a steel rod/s. precision ground, polished, turned, heat treated

whatever
is most effective. 3/8" OD and a length of 4'. I need to know what kind of
steel (1144, Stressproff, 4140 TGPHT would have the least amount of

sagging,
twisting, and flexing (wasn't sure on the scientific terms for these). Can

you
help me out with that one? Or maybe point me to a graph or an equation to

work
it out?
Thanks in advance for your time,
Jeremy
p.s in the future I will need an eight or 10 foot rod

The sagging could be from a weight of 50 pounds to 100 pounds, twisting
would be
from high torque stepper motors

thanks again people, just slightly confusing with the different numbers
and what
not. And I should have specified the sagging from load, not length.

thanks again, I was worried no one would answer, new here.

thanks

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...-4-613340-.htm