Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:18:05 PM UTC-4, Jman wrote:
I need a steel rod/s. precision ground, polished, turned, heat treated
whatever is most effective. 3/8" OD and a length of 4'. I need to know
what kind of steel (1144, Stressproff, 4140 TGPHT would have the least
amount of sagging, twisting, and flexing (wasn't sure on the scientific
terms for these). Can you help me out with that one? Or maybe point me
to a graph or an equation to work it out?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jeremy

Is the sagging only from the weight oft the rod? If so you can do a little better using a tube. Increasing the diameter will reduce the amount of sagging, and again using a tube will help even more. And decreasing the length will also help.

Dan