Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

On 4/19/2015 6:29 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 23:18:02 +0000, Jman
wrote:

I need a steel rod/s. precision ground, polished, turned, heat treated
whatever is most effective. 3/8" OD and a length of 4'. I need to know
what kind of steel (1144, Stressproff, 4140 TGPHT would have the least
amount of sagging, twisting, and flexing (wasn't sure on the scientific
terms for these). Can you help me out with that one? Or maybe point me
to a graph or an equation to work it out?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jeremy

p.s in the future I will need an eight or 10 foot rod

All grades will be the same (except for stainless, which will sag,
etc. slightly more). All hardness conditions will be the same.

I know this is hard to believe. When the second or third poster chimes
in, you'll start to believe it.

correct.

Fairly understandable essay on deflection of beams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflect...engineering%29