Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I hard faced my shovel

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 22:33:36 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

My ground here is so full of rocks
that even my expensive tempered shovels wear very fast on the tips.
Tired of this so I tried hard facing one. I did have some trouble
with burn through at first because the hard facing wire needs a
minimum amperage which was really a little too high for the thin
shovel blade.

If you can find one, this is what a powder torch excels at doing.
Remember to only do one side so it wears sharp.

Which Side? On the tiller tines especially. As the tines spin they
describe a cylinder. Should the hard facing be applied to the outside
or inside of this imaginary cylinder?