Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default Ford F-150

wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:31:13 -0400, "Phil
Kangas"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 06:42:50 -0500, Pete
Keillor
wrote:

A lot of the F-150's I see on the road aren't
hauling anything in the
bed. But I wonder how they'll hold up for
lawn
service, plumbers,
farmers, etc. with a lot of stuff banging
around
in the back all the
time. I'm not a pickup or Ford guy, so don't
really care that much.
Time will tell.
Look at all the dump trucks hauling gravel.
LArge percentage are
aluminum boxes, and they stand up better than
most steel boxes.

6061T6 or T653 is pretty tough stuff - and
there
are tougher alloya
apparently.

I would think it is a 5xxx series alloy. It is
work hardening
and corrosion resistant. The more it is abused
the
stronger it gets. Boats are typically made from
it
for that
reason. Salt hauling trailers are also made from
it.
If it is made from 6061 there will be corrosion
complaints.

Aluminum boats are primarily 5000 series alloys
because of corrosion
resistance. Next in line of importance is the
welding of it doesn't
have the same weakening effect in the HAZ that
it does on 6000 series
alloys.
Eric, from Whidbey Island, where lots of
aluminum boats are built, and
where I deal a lot with aluminum boat builders.
Eric

+ 1 phil k.