Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Ive been doing the past several weeks

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:23:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 22:35:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 21:57:38 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 14:21:30 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 20:56:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

Hell ...its 1/4 the size of my Gorton MasterMill. It doesnt have much
bigger a footprint than a 55 gallon drum. Cant fit one of those in a
corner somewhere??

If it won't fit in the lone deer path I have running through the shop
now, I can't use it.

Build a shop out back.

Send the $7,000 materials/permits/inspections check and I'll do it in
a heartbeat. I have room to expand on the pumphouse side.

Doesnt cost $7k to get a seatrain in there, does it?

They get $2,800 for a plain 40' shipping container down here.

Cant talk a trucker friend to bring you one from the docks? They go
for $800-1200 at the shipping point.

My 25' cost me $800, and another $500 to bring it from Costa Mesa to
my yard..186 miles one way.

Its cost me $100 +/- to install lights and electrical and a turbine
vent up on the roof. If I wanted to work in it..$250 would get me a
brand new swamp cooler that would cool down even a 40' unit.

As you may recall..average temps here are between 97F-112F for much of
the year.

If you send $4k, that might cover one. Box, ramp, rollup door,
lighting windows, A/C (you know how farkin' hot they get),
electricity, etc. I could move my budding metal shop into it. I
haven't had room to mount the bender, but I'm thinking about putting
in a concrete pad with some 4x4 square tubing which would work as a
base for it. I haven't needed it much yet.

I'd rather have a tall, deep, 2-car shop, though, with loft for extra
storage of all the lighter stuff. So make it $7-10k, alright?

Buy 2 of those $1200 cargo containers, spend an additonal grand to
have em moved to your homestead..then set them side by side tightly.
Get out the sawzall and wack away the two common walls for whatever
distance back that you want a BIG area to be. They tend to be 9'
wide..so 2 of them will give you 18' of width. Say you took out 20' of
common wall..that would give you a playground of 18x20', with 2
additonal easy to enclose areas (2x4s and 3/8 plywood) areas of 9x20
times (2) for storage, darkroom, reloading shop, slave quarters..etc
etc.

Easy cargo container has a floor rating of 20,000 lbs (fork lift)..so
I rather suspect you could make a decent enough shop in a pair of them
to make your buddies drool.

You dont scrounge very well..do you?

Oh, and thanks for the offer!

My pleasure!!