Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ford F-150

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:27:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
I just got back from an engineering conference in Detroit on
"lightweighting" cars and trucks, which was an exceptionally good
one,
but one mundane fact set me back in my chair. Ford has four stamping
plants making body parts for the new aluminum F-150. At the biggest
one, at the old Rouge plant, their stamping line fills an
11-ton-capacity truck with aluminum stamping scrap every 20 minutes.
The trucks are lined up to haul it back to the mills.

That's a lot of aluminum. All of the US and European car makers have
high-quantity aluminum vehicles in the works, and the world's
aluminum
producers have been building new plants just to deal with it.

Ford will make around 600,000 F-150s this year, so the scrap rate
isn't three-shifts every day, but still...

--
Ed Huntress

Did they tell you what the alloy is?
-jsw

Yes. It is a story I will write for the August or, more likely, the
September issue of Fab Shop.

There are four of them. None is a standard Aluminum Association alloy
designation. The way Ford handled it is brilliant. GM, Honda, Toyota
and others rose to compliment the Ford matreials engineer to designed
the system.

It's built "backwards" from the scrap stream and the real behaviors of
aluminum alloys. Expect the other major automakers to adopt it.

--
Ed Huntress