Ken Moon

Default Wood is where you find it -- desert ironwood

"Kip055" wrote in message
I read somewhere that they use brown boot stain and/or
brown shoe wax, but that may just be some misinformation.

I met a carver who worked in ironwood at a show in Houston several years

ago.
He did use shoe polish as his finish

=================================
Shoe/boot dye is a common means of coloring wood, but you have to be sure
you're getting the spirit/solvent based dye. Some of the "dyes" are more
like ordinary liquid shoe polish, and don't penetrate the wood surface; just
sort of sits on top, like a paint. What I use is Fiebing's dyes. Started
using it 45 years ago for my boots in the Marines and haven't had occasion
to change it. It smells like it may have toluol or toluene in it, so work
with it in a ventilated area. Let dry overnight, brush with soft shoe brush,
then wax with either wood wax or good (Kiwi or equevalent) shoe wax. Polish
with soft cloth, sprinkling with a few drops of water as you finish.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX