Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default first TIG experience

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:07:42 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

I started a TIG class over at local fab shop. It was pretty
interesting. Nobody else showed up so it was a couple hours of
one-on-one. The instructor went over the machine setup (pretty much
like MIG) and we took a torch apart, sharpened the electrodes and
practiced just making puddles in 16 guage steel over and over
again. Then we did some work with the feed wire just pressing it
into the puddle with no feed, then some dabbing of the feed wire
to make the "stack of dimes" beads.

I envy you. Have wanted to try TIG for a long time. Blew my chance
when I was still in High School. They just got in the new TIG
machine when I was a teachers assistant and they didn't have the
electric wiring setup good enough to hold it when I looked it over.
Now I know I should have pestered, bugged my teacher a bit so I
could try it out...

I was sent home with a piece of wire to practice feeding with left
and right hands for next session. The smell of the process is
pleasant to me- it's obviously similar to other electrical
discharge machinery.

If you can handle/watch youtube stuff be sure to look at Jody's
videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/welding...dtricks/videos

I don't have a TIG machine (yet anyway) but I enjoy watching all of
his videos. I always pickup some new little nugget of knowledge for
just welding in general.

I'll second that , watch Jody's videos . He has one series devoted to
telling what all those knobs on the TIG machine are for that's
especially helpful .

That's the same guy the instructor says he watches when he wants to
learn more. I was also told to watch Jody's stuff.

My current youtube machinist favorites are

https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791 Keith Fenner
https://www.youtube.com/user/oxtoolco Tom Liptop

I watched Fenner's Broke It Off , I'd have just shattered the ez-out with
a punch and picked the pieces out , installed a timesert or helicoil and
been done with it .

--
Snag