Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Ive been doing the past several weeks

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 23:15:11 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:59:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:35:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
The running ratio is 100:1

How so?

100 turns of the electric motor input shaft gets (1) turn of the 2
output shafts.

whap No, I meant "Run me through the gear train to show me HOW it's
a 100:1, please."

Shrug...would have been the fastest and wouldn't have harmed a
thing..but he is the boss...shrug again.

You might have lost the temper on the, um, untempered steel, though.
:|

Right....Grin

If we're honest, we can probably ACK that he worried about warpage.

Yah..we had to tear the sucker down and then rebuild it with no more
than .003 side to side and .01 end to end. The guys who put it
together are used to using sledge hammers as a primary tool. Cringe.

I meant to say that I'd have built it with o-ringed screw adjusters to
work against a thick shim plate through the covers. Dismantling to
set end play seems ridiculous.

So where'd you find 20# dead blow hammers to finesse things into
place?

We did it by hand and 1/2" breaker bars. He built it properly..the
installers..****ed it up. As I said..he is a very..very smart guy.

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Unless they call you Tuesday to come repair it. Eek!

Nah..it will take them at least a week to get the oil pump and lines
connected up, the motor installed and all the other stuff.
Hummm..maybe in 2 weeks. Thats when I break out my COD invoices. If
it needs repair..someone used a sledge hammer on it. It is far too
well built to fail in less than 15 yrs without outside buggery.

That was probably an exasperating and thrilling job to perform. I
like those, too. You can sit back and say you were a part of it.

Learned a lot too. My lathe work is better and Ive learned to run a

Were you turning that big gear's shaft on the big spinny thing? (What
was it, a Lodge & Shipley?)

Nope..that was a Critical Part..so the boss man did it. I did some of
the other stuff. Got pretty handy at setting up work on a 4 jaw
chuck.using a tenths indicator.

Cool.

horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

I just want a mini-mill.

Come back down and we can negotiate on that 2/3 sized Bridgeport clone
in the back 40.

Dat ain't a mini and there's just no room for it.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.