Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:03:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:54:31 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 06:07:51 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:04:22 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Ayup. They're meant to charge the battery, -not- start the car.
Trying to crank over a vehicle with one would likely blow one or
both
fuses for the lighters.

The one I have, likely from Radio Shack, is 16 AWG and 4' long, so
it's more of a lab bench jumper. They sold a series of power supplies
with lighter sockets for outlets. I don't know what they meant it to
deliver power to, but it works well to charge my tractor battery
through the dash outlet I added for the flasher. Cats prowl the place
I store it so I don't like to leave the hood raised and charger wires
clamped on the battery.

The jumper box on the tow truck I used to run (which ended my
automotive career) had a molded bakelite shell with welding style
connectors inside. They always made a really solid connection.
http://www.surplustowparts.com/produ...sa-usa20-4.htm
Something like that.

Hell..why not simply buy a proper self wiping power plug?

http://www.grainger.com/category/bat...ecatalog/N-8hx

The 50 ampers are small enough for this application. Found everywhere
on battery powered forklifts so are well known and have zero problems
over long periods of time.

shakes head
Those are -precisely- the persnickety connectors I was dissing.

Ive had very good luck with them over the years

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke