Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What Ive been doing the past several weeks

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:35:04 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 06:31:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:21:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/PFRoller#

Big shop. What all have you been doing there? I know you haven't
been hobbing 3' gears. Hmm, looks like pressing gears together.

Nope..we sent the gears off to be hobbed, but built most everything
else.

Why were you drilling a bearing race? (as if) Do you have to shim
those large tr bearing races to get the proper clearance?

That was not a drill..its a 1800 F heat gun. That race was small
enough to heat it up to get it on the shaft. The 2 propane tanks and
the weed burners are for the bigger stuff. That big gear required over
over half a tank (x2) of propane and about an hour and a half to get
it hot enough to expand it .015 bigger than the shaft it had to be
shrunk onto.

I thought the chuck looked weird. g

Were you rebuilding that massive transmichigan? Or is that more of a
3:1 (or something) gear reduction unit? Jeeze, you get to work on
the beeg stuff!

That was built from scratch. Started off as a 5 tons of 4140, 2"
thick and then cut and welded together. The gears were the same..cut
from plate steel. Including the big gear.

Big mother.

The running ratio is 100:1

How so?

You will notice in the last couple photos he is turning the entire
transmission with a 15" crescent wrench one handed. No adjustable
bearing positions in there. Everything was very carefully calculated
by a German..then corrected by the boss before metal was cut so it all
went together as is. Only adjustment was on the output shafts...double
Timkin roller bearings need adjustable pre load. Lots of corrections
by the boss..the German isn't as good as he thinks he is....

So it seems.

You had to hog out the case for larger gearing? So that's the niche
for the magnetic drill press, is it?

Ayup..the guy who designed it had an Ooops moment and I had no other
option than to drill pilots and then hog as much steel out as I could
with a 5/8" drill, then finish it up with a 4" welding grinder. I
suggested simply cutting it out with a torch and then cleaning it up
with a grinder..but the boss blanched white as a sheet and said NO!!

Shrug...would have been the fastest and wouldn't have harmed a
thing..but he is the boss...shrug again.

You might have lost the temper on the, um, untempered steel, though.
:|

The magnetic drill is for things that need holes in them..but are too
big to put in the drill press or too simple to put in the horizontal
mills. You did notice the middle section of the case on the
Cincinnati drill press..correct? That's what we drilled the holes
for the 1.5" screw eyes and then ran the tap with it. Had to load it
with the 5000 lb forklift. The arm on the radial arm drill press in
the shop is 10' long. A while back I did a 10' diameter gear that
needed the center bolted in. Took (20) 1" bolts on a similar radial
arm drill in another shop.

Yeah, that's a bigass drill press. I wondered what it was, but didn't
look really closely.

Is that your nice transit? Leveling conveyor in/out-feeds?

Not mine..boss mans. He has a bunch of them. He used to be one of GEs
traveling techs..lining up power plant turbines etc etc. He is a
very..very smart man. Reminds me a hell of a lot of Fitch..if you
recall him.

No, I don't, but I remember hearing the name around here for years.

Yah..we had to tear the sucker down and then rebuild it with no more
than .003 side to side and .01 end to end. The guys who put it
together are used to using sledge hammers as a primary tool. Cringe.

So where'd you find 20# dead blow hammers to finesse things into
place?

They are going to be installing the transmission Monday. We are not
going to be there to watch..thankfully.

Unless they call you Tuesday to come repair it. Eek!

Saaay, that's not an OSHA approved air blower on the completed unit.

Of course not. The approved ones suck badly..with loud slurping
noises. I use what works.

Absolutely. I wear my glasses and squint and/or turn away when using
air, but I seldom blow metal chips. When you need compressed air,
though, you need whatever works. I simply don't own a 30psi blower.
The tip got misplaced and a rubber cone tip went on it. Then I could
rebuild those pesky (Satanic) Holley valve bodies.

It's good to be working, wot?

Ayup. It was 3 weeks of (4) 10 hour days. Paid well. Now its over and
Im gonna have to scramble to find something else.

Put a couple dollars in the bank and got my bills caught up..for the
moment.

Good! I just paid the IRS and have nearly nothing left.

Learned a lot too. My lathe work is better and Ive learned to run a

Were you turning that big gear's shaft on the big spinny thing? (What
was it, a Lodge & Shipley?)

horizontal mill..somewhat...tiny bit. Those are probably the most
versatile machine in any machine shop..if you have the real estate to
park one. Jim has (3), plus the 2 VTLs and all the lathes and
Bridgeports and.....

I just want a mini-mill.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.