Maxprop

Default Wood is where you find it -- desert ironwood

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
I also have several of the carvings also which I purchased in Mexico. I
find them in thrift shops from time to time, almost always carved in the
shape of fish, animals or birds. I have picked up a few with broken fins,
beaks, feet, etc. to cut up for pen blanks. They are usually dark brown

on
the exterior, but often gold or orange brown inside. The piece I turned
into the box was also dark on the exposed portions, but had some wonderful
gold color inside. I expect that it will darken with age also.

Ah, I learned something today. So, apparently the wood darkens with age and
exposure to what? UV? Air? I assumed the dark brown color was natural
heartwood. Or perhaps a stain used by the Central American carvers.

Max