Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any experience with VISE-GRIPLocking Wrench?

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 22:05:43 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:42:42 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

This Vise Grips has 1 jaw with 2 smooth surfaces at 60 degrees to each
other and a smooth opposing surface:
http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRI.../dp/B00004SBBD

In theory it seems like it would be very good for holding rounded off
hex heads/nuts. But is it really that much better than plain 'ole
toothed jaws Vise Grips? And enough better to justify a dedicated tool?

I guess its real advantage is getting a _tight_ grip on hex without
marring any surfaces. Face it - hardly any wrench fits a hex
head/nut/fitting without a little slop. Mostly because the hex is
undersize.

Anybody own one?

Bob

Where were they 30 years ago????
That's the only type of "gripping pliers" from any manufacturer that
has any business being used as a "wrench"

I've seen more torn-up nuts with vise-grip marks on them. sigh You
know, those yahoos with 2 screwdrivers, a pair of vise grips, and a
big crescent wrench who call themselves handymen, millwrights or
engineers?

***
These three nice tools/toolsets were in links from that wrench. I'd
like to have all 3.

http://tinyurl.com/ljtgnhh When there's no room for straight pliers.

http://tinyurl.com/po2wrkc I've needed these more times than I can
say. They go at the top of my wishlist.

http://tinyurl.com/qyyxuwk These probably aren't very strong, but
they could get into lots of tight, deep spaces. I have a couple pairs
of long needlenoses, but they can't go deep + tight.

QUESTION:
I don't have any experience with Triplett tools or jaws. Are they
good, hardened steel which keep their teeth? Anyone? One can flatten
the teeth on HF vise grips in one session. Me no like.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.