Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

Larry Jaques wrote:

My buddy Glenn showed me that you could remove the soldering tip from
a Weller 150W gun and induction-heat the terminal to solder the wire
in. It worked extremely well for the 4ga armored wire he gave me to
use with the towing-receiver-mounted winch. http://tinyurl.com/nejufw9

I used the Anderson Powerpoles on the winch wiring, and I'm not all
that impressed. They're less reliable than I had hoped, and I've had
to reseat the things several times in the past, though they seem to
plug right together. It's usually not more than one extra 'fiddle'
per use, but that's once too many. I prefer plug-n-play hardware,
TYVM.

OK so what do you do with the gun to turn it into an induction heater?
Make a coil of copper the size to fit the connector?

--
Steve W.