Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On 2015-04-10, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 10 Apr 2015 02:48:00 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-04-09, robobass wrote:

When the family makes a road trip I bring along a 12v 4 amp cooler.
The ciggie plug melted long ago and I wired up one of those 3/16" cannon
shaped connectors used for low voltage home stuff like laptops, external
HDs etc. It also gets very hot and is starting to melt. What's a good
off-the-shelf solution which doesn't take up much room? The whole ciggie
plug thing is the dumbest convention ever, I must say. I can't believe
it's still extant.

Look into Anderson PowerPole connectors.

[ ... ]

My buddy Glenn showed me that you could remove the soldering tip from
a Weller 150W gun and induction-heat the terminal to solder the wire
in. It worked extremely well for the 4ga armored wire he gave me to
use with the towing-receiver-mounted winch. http://tinyurl.com/nejufw9

I used the Anderson Powerpoles on the winch wiring, and I'm not all
that impressed. They're less reliable than I had hoped, and I've had
to reseat the things several times in the past, though they seem to
plug right together.

Hmm ... no such experience with mine -- but perhaps that it
because I crimped the terminals instead of soldering.

It's usually not more than one extra 'fiddle'
per use, but that's once too many. I prefer plug-n-play hardware,
TYVM.

If the terminals went into the shell while still hot, they may
have melted and shifted the position of the mating surfaces. I don't
know for sure.

Hmm ... 4 ga is a bit bigger than I was using, so perhaps my
experience may not signify here.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--