Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Any experience with VISE-GRIPLocking Wrench?

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:42:42 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

This Vise Grips has 1 jaw with 2 smooth surfaces at 60 degrees to each
other and a smooth opposing surface:
http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRI.../dp/B00004SBBD

In theory it seems like it would be very good for holding rounded off
hex heads/nuts. But is it really that much better than plain 'ole
toothed jaws Vise Grips? And enough better to justify a dedicated tool?

I guess its real advantage is getting a _tight_ grip on hex without
marring any surfaces. Face it - hardly any wrench fits a hex
head/nut/fitting without a little slop. Mostly because the hex is
undersize.

Anybody own one?

Nope, but I've had the same thought. Looks like it could work well if
you still have an area for the vee to fit/lock on to.

I have a couple of these though:

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-31275-H...dp/B0015BGFAC/

Two different sizes. Work really nice for big nuts. Stuff like the
nut on a ball hitch or large conduit compression fitting. You get a bit
better grip than say a large adjustable wrench. I can usually find an
adjustable wrench first though...

Problem with them though is you got to have free access all the
way around the problem nut/bolt head. How often does that happen ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b