Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tapping 6-32 in aluminum

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:31:00 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 4/5/2015 6:10 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 14:31:14 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 15:25:46 -0400, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 4/5/2015 1:40 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
SNIP

The upshot is that, with 70% of our economy based on domestic
consumption,

SNIP

70% of every product purchased in the U.S. is made in the U.S.? Wow, I
didn't think it was that high.

On durable goods..I doubt its 25%

Gunner

The dollar percentage of durable goods sold in the US and made in the
US was 66.6% in 2010. The overall percentage of dollar value of
consumer imports, in all categories including oil, was 11.5%, of which
the actual cost was 7.3%. The remaining 4.2% goes to US
transportation, wholesaling, and retailing markups.

If you follow US manufacturing and trade for a decade or more, you'll
realize that almost every popular conception about our manufacturing
and trade is wrong.

http://www.frbsf.org/economic-resear...made-in-china/

Thanks for the followup. Very informative.

Sure, Steve. It's easy to develop a completely wrong impression about
our trade situation.

BTW, that research piece by the Fed is one of the few you'll see that
analyzes the foreign-made components of products assembled in the U.S.
It's not easy to measure, and off-the-cuff estimates are all over the
map. This one looks like it was done right.

--
Ed Huntress