Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Could these transformers have PCB oil?

Ignoramus20394 prodded the keyboard with:

On 2015-03-26, Baron wrote:
Ignoramus20394 prodded the keyboard with:

I am eyeing a couple of transformers that come up for auction
today:

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e39

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e3e

Unfortunately, I was not able to see them, but I wonder,

1) What is the likelihood that they are copper wound
2) What is the likelihood that they have PCB oil in them

thanks

If they are from the seventies or thereabouts a very good chance.

They look old and ugly, maybe from the 40s

In that case, almost certainly will have PCB's. I'd avoid them like
the plague.

A good number of years ago, I inhereted a number of PCB filled
capacitors. It was the local scrapman that put me wise to the fact
that they were labeled as containing PCB's. Before I was allowed to
dispose of them I had to enclose each one in a plastic bag and then
encapsulate them in concrete inside a lidded polythene drum. An
expensive time consuming exercise.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.