Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody built a pulse magnetiser?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:18:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 5:35:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:

You know, I think you're right. It seems like the coil and cap would
ring. I'll have to look again at some sites that mentioned discharging
a cap into a coil to make a pulse magnetizer. I know that a lot of
magnetizers work this way, dumping current into a coil. Some turn the
coil on for a brief period using some sort of switch. Others use a
charged capacitor for the power pulse. If a cap and a rectifier are
used in series that would stop the ringing, right?
Anyway, I'll check.
Eric

My experience with a one microfarad foil cap charged to 2000 volts and dumped into a 0.2 ohm low inductance load showed no ringing. The cap discharged in a couple of microseconds with no ringing. Peak current was about 2000 amps. I think that electrolytic caps would have a higher equivalent series resistance and would also not ring. But I have not verified that.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Some real world testing is what is really needed. I don't
need a strong magnet, in fact I need a weak one. But I do need
reliable and repeatable results. I also need magnetic material that
will not lose its magnetism easily.
Cheers,
Eric