Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Could these transformers have PCB oil?

Ignoramus20394 wrote:
I am eyeing a couple of transformers that come up for auction today:

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e39

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e3e

Unfortunately, I was not able to see them, but I wonder,

1) What is the likelihood that they are copper wound

all copper for something that old.

2) What is the likelihood that they have PCB oil in them

just as likely.

The AC branded one has a blue sticker on it that may certify it PCB free,
but there's no way to read it.

Anyways, you stand to lose far more than you'd gain if they are
contaminated. What the nameplates on stuff that old say doesn't even
matter. You need to have whats inside them tested by a lab to know what
they're filled with and if they are tainted with PCBs.