Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Could these transformers have PCB oil?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:35:52 -0500, Ignoramus20394

On 2015-03-26, Baron wrote:
Ignoramus20394 prodded the keyboard with:

I am eyeing a couple of transformers that come up for auction today:

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e39

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auct...5-a45e01297e3e

Unfortunately, I was not able to see them, but I wonder,

1) What is the likelihood that they are copper wound
2) What is the likelihood that they have PCB oil in them

thanks

If they are from the seventies or thereabouts a very good chance.

They look old and ugly, maybe from the 40s

There should be a nameplate on it that lists what it's filled with. It
probably won't say "PCB." They first used it in transformers in 1929,
and the EPA says it was used through 1977. My parents lost their well
water due to PCBs in 1976. They had to switch to city water.

Here are the other product names for PCBs that EPA lists, which should
appear on a label:

Abestol, Aroclor, Askarel, Chlophen, Chlorextol, DK, EEC-18, Fenclor,
Inerteen, Kennechlor, No-Flamol, Phenoclor, Pyralene, Pyranol,
Saf-T-Kuhl, Solvol, Non-Flammable Liquid

--
Ed Huntress