guy

Default Nova2 vs Vicmarc: Advice please

Jerry, Presently I have a Supernova for a couple years now and have
never had a problem with mine either with grip or quality. The only
real complaint you hear about Supernovas is the key and once you
figure it out it becomes a non-issue. Gripping power is fine as many a
poor crushed piece of wood will testify to. It seems that the
Supernova2 is just an evolution of convenience (the key). I like the
open back of the Supernova, makes cleaning a snap so the closed back
for me is moot. The Supernova is a medium size chuck where the Vic
120, Stronghold and Nova Titan are all larger. I don't have anything
against Vicmarc (I have a Vicmarc lathe) or Oneway. Their product
lines are awesome. Teknatool also has a good product line of
practical, reasonably priced equipment, the 3000 lathe IMHO is the
best lathe for under $2000 (former owner). One thing to look at as
Lynn said is the availability of jaw sets, frankly I think all these
chucks have the power to hold whatever you want, just match the jaws
to your work. Also, if you plan on getting another chuck later will
your present jaws fit? Is there a "bare" chuck offered (just a chuck
body) so you can add another chuck for less$$? I am going to get a
Supernova "companion" ($130 +/-) so my present jaws will fit and will
also fit the new Titan also. So my opinion, get a Supernova with a few
jaw sets from KMS Tools or check e-bay. You will still have a good
chuck and still have saved some $$. Good luck, Guy