Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody built a pulse magnetiser?

wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:57:04 AM UTC-4,
wrote:

--------------

Greetings Pete,
I have a couple of these type of soldering guns. I need to have a
repeatable process because I want to make lots of parts. So what if
use one of these guns with a diode in series? If the diode can take
the current, that is.
Eric

If I were doing it, I would use capacitors charged from DC supply and
connected to a coil with an air core by a knife switch. The amount of
magnitizing current easily adjusted by adding or removing caps and
changing the DC voltage. That would be consistent. No guessing about
how many cycles of AC used. The drawback is you might not have a
large collection of scrap parts to use in making it.

So you might try using your MIG welder as the supply and adjust the
magnetizing coil to get the right amount of magnetising force. If you
happened to have a mig welder with the optional timer used for spot
welding, it would work really well.

Dan

I just tried magnetizing a 3/16" Allen wrench crosswise about 3/8" in
from the end with a Neodymium button magnet. The whole end of the
wrench is now magnetized pretty evenly.

I don't have an easy way to arrange two of them NS NS to concentrate
the field.

-jsw