Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Anybody built a pulse magnetiser?

F. George McDuffee writes:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:06:46 -0700, wrote:

All,

I have been looking online and have found lots of info but I would
also like to hear from anyone here who has actually done what I
want to do. The goal is to magnetise a heat treated to 40 Rc steel
rod that is .200 in diameter in the radial direction. The area to
be magnetised needs to be about .350" from the end of the rod. The
magnetism can be pretty weak, it only needs to hold a steel sleeve
in place for a few seconds. But the end of the rod must have a very
weak magnetic strength, weak enough that it won't even hold a
straight pin. Thanks, Eric

I've never built one, but here is someone that did
http://tinyurl.com/le7pnws

Oh, I built one of those. I don't quite get the OP's question so
maybe that isn't applicable to his needs. But it does work as
advertized in the Gingery booklet.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada