Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody built a pulse magnetiser?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:54:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

All,
I have been looking online and have found lots of info but I would
also like to hear from anyone here who has actually done what I want
to do.

Yup... have done. I built a simple heavy coil, good for about 50A at
110VAC. (yes, AC).

"Fuse" it with a strip of foil -- you'll have to test to get the current
to interrupt at the peak of one half-cycle of the incoming AC.

When it blows - violently - the coil will have been conducting huge
current, and it will be interrupted instantly, with an arc that lasts
through the collapse time of the field in the coil.

Works good!
Lloyd

I didn't build it or use it, but the magnets on a couple printed
circuit axial field motors I have hanging around were pulse magnetized
to peak plux at the factory - there is a strand of #14 insulated wire
wrapped around all the magnets and the two ends are brought out of the
case. When the motor was assembled, a large pulse from a capacitor
discharge was applied to the winding to top it up. I'm told the
current used is in the thousand amp range for about a millisecond -
for a resulting 1000 amp turns magnetizing force on each magnet to
"top up" the magnets.

If the motors are dissassembled the magnets loose strength and need to
be "re-pulsed" to acheive dull design power again. Oviously they are
not neomydium magnets - possibly Alnico, but I suspect they are
Ceramic or Ferrite.