Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody built a pulse magnetiser?

fired this volley in
:

All,
I have been looking online and have found lots of info but I would
also like to hear from anyone here who has actually done what I want
to do.

Yup... have done. I built a simple heavy coil, good for about 50A at
110VAC. (yes, AC).

"Fuse" it with a strip of foil -- you'll have to test to get the current
to interrupt at the peak of one half-cycle of the incoming AC.

When it blows - violently - the coil will have been conducting huge
current, and it will be interrupted instantly, with an arc that lasts
through the collapse time of the field in the coil.

Works good!
Lloyd