Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bogus Bogus is offline

Default Whats it called - push on retainer clip for bearing

On 23-Mar-15 12:37 AM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:14:55 +0800, Bogus wrote:

On 22-Mar-15 2:26 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 21:24:34 +0800, Bogus wrote:

On 21-Mar-15 3:55 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:47:48 +0800, Bogus wrote:

The spacer washers is an idea. I had also thought of using some SS or
BeCu wave washers to slightly preload and take out any end play.

http://www.centuryspring.com/products/discsprings.php

Thanks - the finger springs or slotted disks might be useful. I think
the others are too heavy for my application.

Thats the reason they make "belleville " (sp) washers...just for
reasons like this.

You also need to check out "wave washers"

https://www.google.com/search?q=wave...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks, I'll look more into Belleville washers, I had it in my head that
they were for heavier assemblies than the dinky little one I'm working with.

Wave washers - yep they might be useful.

Cheers

Your head had it right. Bellevilles are generally only practical as
preload springs on bearings larger than yours. Wave or finger springs
are the way to go, if you need preload, in the 1/4" size range.

But if, as you're sketch indicates, you can tolerate 0.4mm end play,
you probably don't need the preload. All radial ball bearings have
some play, but my SWAG is a normal 1/4" bearing will have less than
0.4mm axial play. The bearing mfrs publish this info -- look for
numbers for "internal clearance."

Thanks Ned.