Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

Larry Jaques on Sun, 22 Mar 2015
08:42:35 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I always work on the flat; won't go under a car on a hill. But I
don't always have chocks. I do demand a jack stand, plus the jack as
a backup, whenever I'm under a vehicle. I've seen local people lose
legs to cars falling off jacks and I swore I'd never become one of the
casualties to that simple mistake. If jack stands aren't available, I
stack concrete blocks and tubafores up until it's safe to crawl under.

We'd pulled the engine out of a VW van in Cairo. Told Dave to put
it back. He attempted to slide the engine back in, balanced on a
bottle jack (all we had with us). It did not work, and he "only"
cracked a tooth when it hit his face. I sent him to bed, said I'd
take care of it.
The next day, rather than attempt to move the engine into the van,
I blocked up the engine on bricks, then had two guys push the van
while I manhandled the transmission to align. "easy peasy" - if a bit
longer.

It was a heck of a trip, the starter motor on the 1959 Mercedes
touring bus failed, and we had to push start it every time, until we
could get back to Germany.
--
pyotr filipivich