Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

Gunner Asch on Sat, 21 Mar 2015 01:43:35 -0700
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 22:26:54 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:25:57 -0700
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:34:17 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote:
On 3/20/2015 7:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Has anyone seen short jackstands with a screw adjustment for height
that are rated for cars versus campers? When I put it on four
jackstands to pull the tires and repeatedly bleed the brakes only
three made contact.
"Point of order": this is RCM, your question should be about making
such, or modifying an existing one G. Seriously - you only need
one finely adjustable stand. And it just needs to keep the car
steady - the other 3 can carry the load. So, put an upright bolt
into the top of one of your stands & you're done. Bob

I could, and did think about it, or I could support the lighter rear
with a single centered floor jack. But I'm not going to remove the
tires and crawl underneath with such support.

I Never...ever...work under a vehicle supported by only a floor jack.
Not in this lifetime, nor in the next.

Is this because of something you did in a past lifetime? B-)

I had two buses (interurban types, not VW) fall off the jacks
while I was under them. On the second one, I heard the "creak" and
rolled out from under it, as the stand on the far side compressed the
cobble stone enough to get past CG. "Fall down, bounce on shocks."
Missed me, I was 21 and nie invulnerable.
--
pyotr filipivich

Its because I went to visit a good friend and his wife told me he was
out in the garage..and I found him crushed to death under his Karman
Gia.
One jack, no jack stands.

Left a wife and 3 kids.

It wasnt a lot of fun checking him for a pulse..with a break drum
buried in his chest...knowing there wasnt going to be any..then
telling is wife to call 911..and trying to keep her out of the garage
because her husband lay dead..pinned like a bug to the floor..with a
pool of blood that had spewed out of his mouth like a fountain..and
wide eyes and a paniced expression on his now cold and very dead face.

Ive been around a lot of dead people in my time..made a bunch of them
dead myself..and his face will always stick in my brain until its my
turn on the cosmic wheel.

All I can say is "Lord have mercy."

tschus
pyotr