Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 16:21:36 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 4:27:20 PM UTC-7, Clare wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:00:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 23:42:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd

wrote:

On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 5:20:09 AM UTC-7, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
On 3/18/2015 8:00 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
The advice I was hoping for was a recommendation of a compatible
or
insoluble heavy grease to put on the bleeder threads. ...

I have seen a YouTube video of bleeding with vacuum where they put
something on the bleeder threads to seal them.

I've used HandiTak for that (and have heard that plumber's teflon
tape
also works, but cannot confirm).

Describe what you call a vacuum bleed please - there are so many
possibilities.

For me it means connecting a Mityvac or HF bleeding kit to the wheel
cylinder bleeder, pumping to 25", opening the bleeder and watching the
fluid and maybe air flow out.

And there is NO WAY air or anything else is going to get in to the
system due to leakage around the bleeder screw threads doing it that
way. What's the big issue about the threads not sealing 100%???

The two-person bleed procedure pressurizes the brake lines and blows crud out of
them. A one-person vacuum bleed is also possible, using atmospheric pressure
at the master cylinder and pulling a vacuum at the bleed port with a "Mityvac" brand
hand pump. The problem there, is that the (loose) bleed valve can fill the little
waste bottle with brake fluid from the lines, or with air from the lines, or with
air that leaks past the threads of the valve. Even if air doesn't get into
the brake lines, there's no way to know when the bleed is good enough,
unless you smear some sealant around the valve threads.

I've never seen a professional mechanic put sealer on a bleeder
thread.. I've never put sealer on a bleader screw.. I have a little
battery operated electric vacuum bleeder. I have a mighti-vac. I
virtually never use them for bleeding brakes. So much easier to
gravity/pump bleed. The pressure bleeder was the cat's meow back when
I was at the dealership. Clamp the fitting on the master, dial up the
pressure on the tank, open the bleeder 'till the bubbles stop, Close
the screw. repeat on the other 3 lines.
It wasn't foolproof. Couldn't pressure bleed a '60's Vauxhaul with
twin leading shoe brakes while sitting level. Reverse bleeding is the
"secret weapon" in cases like that. Standing the car on it's nose
overnight works too. Don't want to have to do that too often!!. (line
went into the "top" cyl. with a jumper line from the top cyl to the
bottom cyl, and the bleeder on the bottom of the bottom cyl, of all
places!!!)