Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bogus Bogus is offline

Default Whats it called - push on retainer clip for bearing

On 21-Mar-15 8:06 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:49:47 +0800, Bogus wrote:

On 19-Mar-15 9:22 PM, Bogus wrote:
I'm trying to locate a small bearing on a shaft for an instrument.

I initially thought of machining a couple of slots on the shaft and
using E clips or wire clips.

What about using a push on fastener like this:

https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/4115723.jpg

Bearing: R4ZZ (5/8" x 1/4" x 5mm)
Shaft: 1/4" stainless steel
Load: normally zero end load, perhaps a kilo or three when handled.
Speed: Static to a few RPM

Thoughts on practicality?

Are there clips made for this purpose that have a small OD so as to not
exceed the inner race diameter?

Is there a standard name for these clips for bearing retaining
applications?

Cheers.

Here's a rough sketch of the arrangement:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...singSketch.pdf

Maybe the best idea is to try and source some of the push on retainers
and just try it. We've just done a batch that will last six months so
there is no time real urgency.

Tinnermanc15226ss-010 is .45" diameter and fits 1/4" shaft or stud
(.246 to .252" diameter) 10 thou thick. or change the last 3 digits to
014 for 14 thou thickness.
Also tinnerman c12046-012 .56 outside diameter with .44" flats

Better yet, try the tinnerman t99220ss-82-576 grooveless retainer ring
- only .312inch OD and .025 inch deep, made of .010 thick stainless
steel.. The latter would be my choice for the application shown in
the drawing.

Thanks for the lead - I had not heard of Tinnerman, I'll check them out.