Ken Vaughn

Default Wood is where you find it -- desert ironwood

"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Around a decade ago we purchased some desert ironwood carvings which were
primitive, but nicely finished and quite attractive. Since then I've
attempted to find some of that wood, but without success. Your find was
fortuitous. Guess I'll keep searching.

Max

I also have several of the carvings also which I purchased in Mexico. I
find them in thrift shops from time to time, almost always carved in the
shape of fish, animals or birds. I have picked up a few with broken fins,
beaks, feet, etc. to cut up for pen blanks. They are usually dark brown on
the exterior, but often gold or orange brown inside. The piece I turned
into the box was also dark on the exposed portions, but had some wonderful
gold color inside. I expect that it will darken with age also.

Ken