Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bogus Bogus is offline

Default Whats it called - push on retainer clip for bearing

On 20-Mar-15 7:34 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:45:12 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Bogus" wrote in message
I'm trying to locate a small bearing on a shaft for an instrument.

I initially thought of machining a couple of slots on the shaft and
using E clips or wire clips.

What about using a push on fastener like this:

https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/4115723.jpg

Bearing: R4ZZ (5/8" x 1/4" x 5mm)
Shaft: 1/4" stainless steel
Load: normally zero end load, perhaps a kilo or three when handled.
Speed: Static to a few RPM

Thoughts on practicality?

Are there clips made for this purpose that have a small OD so as to
not exceed the inner race diameter?

Is there a standard name for these clips for bearing retaining
applications?

In my experience those clips are hard to keep straight unless you have
a guided tool to press them on evenly, like a small 1/4" drive socket.
They make a mess of the shaft if you have to move or replace them. I'd
try set screw collars first, with a snip of solder or string trimmer
line under the setscrew to protect the shaft. You could turn a
shoulder on the side to clear the shield.
http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-L...C2W8Q9ZX4FGWNX
$0.64 each.

-jsw

The center race always stands slightly proud of the sheild, so using a
(hardned) washer against the bearing and driving the spring retainer
up against the washer would do the job - but as stated it's really
easy to damage the shaft. What's wrong with spacing the shaft using a
tube sleave over the shaft to locate the bearings - requiting only 1
"retainer" at each end of the shaft, which can be as simple as
threading the end of the shaft and using a nut? Fine adjustment of
position can be done with thin shim washers, and dissassembly is
simple and damage free any time in the future.
If a nut isn't fesible, drill the end of the shaft and tap it for a
hex-head cap screw.

A tube sleeve is what's being used currently. The volume is low so
everything is hand machined. I'm trying to eliminate as much machining
as possible.

The spacer washers is an idea. I had also thought of using some SS or
BeCu wave washers to slightly preload and take out any end play.