Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Whats it called - push on retainer clip for bearing

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 21:22:49 +0800, Bogus wrote:

I'm trying to locate a small bearing on a shaft for an instrument.

I initially thought of machining a couple of slots on the shaft and
using E clips or wire clips.

What about using a push on fastener like this:

https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/4115723.jpg

Bearing: R4ZZ (5/8" x 1/4" x 5mm)
Shaft: 1/4" stainless steel
Load: normally zero end load, perhaps a kilo or three when handled.
Speed: Static to a few RPM

Thoughts on practicality?

Are there clips made for this purpose that have a small OD so as to not
exceed the inner race diameter?

I strongly doubt it. Those and the twin V style are usually
considerably larger in OD, likely as large as the outer race.

Consider trying some Loctite. 680 and 640 might work. (I've never
tried this.)

Is there a standard name for these clips for bearing retaining applications?

Yeah, "bearing retainers". sorry, hadda do it

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.