Maxprop

Default Wood is where you find it -- desert ironwood

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message

Several months ago I found what looked to be a large limb in an antique
shop. When I picked it up I could not believe how heavy it was -- on

close
examination, I knew immediately what it was -- Desert Ironwood. I paid $3
for it. It was decades old, dirty and gnarled, but still promising. I
turned it down to get to the heartwood and was disappointed in the amount
which ended up on the floor, but what was left looked promising. I looked
at that cylinder for a long time, trying to come up with a shape which

would
make the most of what was left. Here's what I came up with.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/ironwood_box.jpg

Very nice, as are the rest of your turnings, Ken.

Around a decade ago we purchased some desert ironwood carvings which were
primitive, but nicely finished and quite attractive. Since then I've
attempted to find some of that wood, but without success. Your find was
fortuitous. Guess I'll keep searching.

Max