Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:15:59 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:12:37 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:39:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
You'll not convince me to own a used car.

You've owned one for over 6 years!!!. It's a used car as soon as you
drive it off the dealer's lot.

Nah, it's not a used car until you have to do major repairs on it.

Then my 96 Ranger and 02 Taurus are still new cars!!!!!

Haven't spent a cent on my wife's 10 year old (when purchased) taurus
in the 3 years we've owned it that I would not have spent on a new
car, and it only cost me $6000.

You, sir, got lucky.

The last 2 6-10 year old cars I've bought for my wife have gone 10-12
years with less than $1000 per year spent on them (usually less than
$600 including oil changes and tires)

Not bad, but you are/were a mechanic. It's a little easier for us to
spot lemons and avoid them. My first job as a mechanic was parttime
while I went to UTI at a used car dealer. I learned early on that I'd
never be able to trust most used car salesmen or mechanics who worked
for them. That info has been priceless to me over the years.

I had all used vehicles before that, and I can say, without a doubt, I
much prefer owning NEW vehicles to old. The price isn't much higher,
but the frustration level is much lower and the satisfaction level is
much higher. New "wins", no-brainer.

And I can truthfully say the ONE brand new vehicle I owned gave me
more trouble in the first year than any of my used cars except one
have given me in the first 2 years. Sure, it was covered by warranty -
but it was still a lot of hassle - and it was by far the most
expensive vehicle, mile for mile, of any vehicle I have owned (lost
count at 20 a number of years ago)

Was it a GM vehicle?

Nope it was a 1976 Mopar (Ramcharger SE)

If so, you didn't do your homework. Check the
Consumer Reports for the vehicles to stay away from. I wouldn't own a
new or used GM and wouldn't own a used Honda, ever. Hondas and
Toyotas run forever, but when they start to break, they break hard and
fast. That's when you sell them; when you "feel it coming".

Might be true of Hondas. Definitely is of GMs - I won't own another
one unless it is given to me - and I've had real good luck with
Toyotas too - but find they are overpriced on the used market.

Not to say I haven't had fun working on them. So, go enjoy your work
while I enjoy my drive, or have a chance to rest. g

330,000km on my 19 year old Ranger.My first repair in 2 years is
waiting for warm weather - I need to drill the rivets out of the
plastic driver's door handle to replace it. Still works, but has no
spring pulling it down any more.

So pull the cover and put in a new spring, whydontcha?

I bought a pair of brand new handles for $7 from China - shipping
included. I think the plastic the spring connects to broke and for $7
I won't waste any time trying to fix it.