Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Electronics Training for Privates

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 22:47:30 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 13:48:32 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 08:45:29 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

on-topic stuff snipped

I feel sorry for mechanics who have to learn how to diagnose complex
electronics. The initial drop-out rate at the Army electronic repair
school was quite high during the Volts - Amps - Ohms - Watts section.
Now that Radio Shack has crashed, perhaps the defense department
should commission someone to come up with a modern version of the
101-in-1 project kits, and sell them for just enough so that people
think they're worthwhile.

I bought some project boxes at RatSnack last month, and the guy was
looking urpy. He said he wasn't sure how long they'd be running.
Did it fall? I hadn't heard.

--
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the
results.

They are closing about half of the stores by the end of this month. Some
will stay open to clear inventory and become Sprint stores.

http://www.businessinsider.com/radio...re-list-2015-2

Around me there will end up being one store within about 20 miles away.
Used to be about 7 stores within a 50 mile radius.

Thing that stinks is that now it will be only online for electronic
components. There are no other stores that sell that kind of stuff
around here.

It's been over 30 years since I could waltz into a Radio Shack store and
buy all the bits I needed for a project -- and even then, it cost over
twice the price for getting stuff mail order.

Lately all of their "DIY" stuff has been mostly crap.

So other than the educational chit, I'm not feeling very deprived.

--
www.wescottdesign.com