Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mastermelter Mastermelter is offline

Default Pounds of Iron to Coke.

replying to Bob Engelhardt, Mastermelter wrote:
bobengelhardt wrote:

I'd say that the chances of your doing this (estimating) are really,
really small. Because I don't think that you'll be able to get any kind
of handle on your efficiency. When you burn a pound of coke, most of
the energy goes up the flue. Most(?) of what's used heats the furnace
itself. The rest heats/melts the charge. The numbers are so dependent
upon your design (size, geometry, material, air flow, etc) that you'll
never get a reliable estimate, even a ballpark one. IMVHO, of course.
Bob

AFS Cupola Handbook says 1 pound of Coke will melt 6 pounds of Cast Iron.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ls-382559-.htm