Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Another potential MOT use

In article , says...

I'm also starting stuff for a neighbor , and we plan to preserve quite a
bit . So , it seems the consensus is ... don't .
I wondered if the MOT might be a lot more joules than is needed to
discourage the critters . If it becomes a problem , I guess I'll purchase a
unit . I've been told that if they don't know it's here they won't bother it
, but last year they killed two of my new fruit trees , killed my taters ,
lettuce , and some of the tomatoes . The remaining trees are now in cages
made of 6x6 concrete rewire with bird/deer mesh around the cage . Cost
prohibitive right now to fence the garden , at $3.50 per foot that's almost
500 bucks for wire alone . Figure about double that with posts , top rail ,
fittings , and concrete and we just don't have that right now . An electric
fence I can probably swing , at a couple hundred for the unit ,
posts/standoffs , and wire if I spread the purchases out . Retirement
income only stretches so far ...

You may have already had a look... Given your ability to source old parts and
make do... etc. this might be an easy build.

A Homemade Electric Fence Charger

By the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Editors
July/August 1982

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/h...fence-charger-
zmaz82jazgoe.aspx

"The charger we put together is powered by a 12-volt automotive battery, and
can deliver an attention-getting 25,000 volts of electricity to the fence
strands once every second. "

I usually go to Mother Earth News whenever I need some kind of farm/garden diy.

---