Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another potential MOT use

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 01:06:58 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 22:48:05 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Well , I still have that MOT sittin' here , and just thought of another
maybe . Last year the Hooved Rats of the Woods marauded in my garden . This
is unacceptable ... and I was just thinkin' , would it be reasonable to use
it to charge a couple of wires to keep the deer out of the garden ?
I have seedlings here that I started in January (70+ 'maters and peppers),

Jeezus, obsess much, Snag? 1 mater for the family and some neighbors,
a second to can, a third to feed the surrounding neighborhood, and a
4th to feed your half of the city. Ditto zucchini plants.

strawberries out in the garden that were planted last year - and I really

I'm going to do berries this year, too. Time to get that raised bed
together this weekend. I already have hardware cloth to line the
bottom to keep gophers and moles out.

want to harvest some this year , as we didn't harvest any last year to let
them get well established - and will have a lot more stuff direct seeded as
soon as winter is over C'mon Spring !. I want to feed me , not them ...
and the game warden said if I shoot them he'll toss my sorry ass in jail .

You better have real good liability insurance and a lawyer on retainer
if you wire a fence with an MOT.
Get a livestock fence energizer and post your property. "No
trespassing" "caution - electrified fencing"

Kill some trespassing hillbilly with your MOT powered fence and your
sorry ass may end up in jail a lot longer than for shooting a deer out
of season with no license!!

Exactly. The answer is DON'T! Put up an 8' chain link fence around
your garden and tie brightly colored flags of pvc tape on top so they
can see it's taller than they can jump over. The movement triggers
their protective senses, too, so they stay away. I've seen deer here
jump 6' fences with ease, so people use 8' or 12' fencing.
https://afence.com/store/ft.8-x11ga.CHNLNK-KT.html Only $3.49/ft.

To keep the Thompson's gazelles, kudu, oryx, and impala from jumping
the fences at the Sandy Eggo Wild Animal Park, they used just 6'
fences but they put an 18" angled fence on top. It angled toward the
interior of the park and was a psychological mountain to the deer, who
thought it doubled the height of the fence, so they wouldn't even try
to jump it. Face yours outward if you use that ploy.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.