Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing drill press followup

On 2015-03-05, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 5 Mar 2015 02:31:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-03-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 20:30:18 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[ ... ]

at the highest speed setting. It came with a fixer-upper Albrecht 130
chuck from some other machine.

Somebody went to town trying to remove the arbor from this chuck, complete

[ ... ]

As I read it above, he is trying to get the arbor (remains) out
of the chuck, not the spindle.

Ah..the chuck is on the end of the arbor IN the spindle..else its like
no drill press Ive ever seen before. And I work on a lot of them

The arbor removes from *most* spindles with a Morse key drift,
using the slot in the spindle for access. (And for the Taiwanese drill
press which I have, there is slot in the quill to access that, while
some have the slot in an area below the quill.

But -- I *have* seen cheap (and usually small) drill presses
with the Jabobs taper as a part of the end of the spindle, in which case
the separation is more difficult.

Nute that he did say (as still quoted above):

"Somebody went to town trying to remove the arbor from this chuck, complete "

Implying that it was a matter of separating the rather beat up
arbor from the chuck, so a new one could be fitted, to allow it to be
used in the Clausing drill press. Probably the arbor got beat up when
the previous owner attempted to remove it to replace it with an arbor
which is a proper fit for the Clausing's spindle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail