Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default Anybody got lengths of RG8x or 58A coax?

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 07:05:46 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:57:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:02:56 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 06:32:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:10:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Will these work?

This one is an AM/FM music type radio antenna
http://tinyurl.com/mrwckra

Yeah, I wondered about the termination connector. g

This one is a proper marine antenna.
http://tinyurl.com/popbjpl

Something to keep in mind...is deck space.

My little Windrose 18 is only 18 feet long. The deck has the mast, all
the shrouds, the rudder, the outboard motor, the jib/genoa sail
sweeping the forward 1/3-1/2 of the deck, the movable hatchway,
any/all ropes and lines that come to the cockpit..and the cockpit
itself.

How far away from the mast does the antenna have to be? Could you put
it close to the mast (just forward) and maybe put a guide around it to
keep the genoa or jib off it?

As far away as possible..or above it. Putting an antenna in the path
of a regularly moving sail...is simple madness. Putting ANYTHING in
the path of a moving sail is madness..

OK, to the side of the mast.

Usually you just put a small cross bracket in the top of the mast with
the wind vane on one side and the antenna on the other. See
http://tinyurl.com/njkhkmt
although that shows a wind speed on one side and direction on the
other it shows the basic concept.

Since it is extremely difficult to get the shrouds, stays, or sails
above the top of the mast it works pretty well :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.