Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody got lengths of RG8x or 58A coax?

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 07:05:46 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 22:57:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:02:56 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 06:32:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:10:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Will these work?

This one is an AM/FM music type radio antenna
http://tinyurl.com/mrwckra

Yeah, I wondered about the termination connector. g

This one is a proper marine antenna.
http://tinyurl.com/popbjpl

Something to keep in mind...is deck space.

My little Windrose 18 is only 18 feet long. The deck has the mast, all
the shrouds, the rudder, the outboard motor, the jib/genoa sail
sweeping the forward 1/3-1/2 of the deck, the movable hatchway,
any/all ropes and lines that come to the cockpit..and the cockpit
itself.

How far away from the mast does the antenna have to be? Could you put
it close to the mast (just forward) and maybe put a guide around it to
keep the genoa or jib off it?

As far away as possible..or above it. Putting an antenna in the path
of a regularly moving sail...is simple madness. Putting ANYTHING in
the path of a moving sail is madness..

OK, to the side of the mast.

Up high..above the sail. Some sails sweep the mast as they pass. My
genoa..which is a big..big jib used in light winds..is as big as my
mainsail..and it is 15' wide..from the front of the boat to within 3'
of the stern of the boat.. That one REALLY sweeps the mast.

There are wide open spaces on top of the deck......until there isnt
as the sail sweeps that portion of the deck while changing
directionis. It can get pretty busy up there so far as space to put
Stuff attached to the boat. Add a bbq to the stern of the boat..
http://www.magmaproducts.com/
(one of my clients btw)

Prolly not more than $8 or $10k, eh?

I was promised one for free. Shrug. Ill see when I get it. They are
about $140 or so new..least the propane powered ones..run off a 1lb
torch bottle, of which I have a couple CASES of. Came out of one of
the factories I shut down in the past 4 yrs.

It's a real Bummer, having to shut down manufacturing.

Yes..it most assuredly is. Sad as hell too.

Like cup holders?

Ayup. Exactly like cup holders. Nothing worse than your bud spilling
his beer inside the cockpit and then smelling it all day. Best thing
to do is take a bucket of water out of the lake and simply flush out
the cockpit. Yuck!

That's as bad as mouse pee inside equipment. I was kidding about the
cup holder thing, though, after being in stitches reading all the new
car specs back in 2006. It seems that no vehicle made could be sold
without gazillions of cup holders stuck _everywhere_. Ashtray/CH,
door handle/CH, tailgate/CH, underhood cupholders. Ayieeeeeeeeee!

The 99 Chevy Venture Im currently driving..has....ready for it...."8"
cup holders in it.

Who needs diapers and other noise on a sailboat?

Anybody with grandkids who wear diapers. Like me. Im hoping they
wait for a couple years before putting her in my
boat(s)...but...shrug. This WIndrose 18 is good for 4 people max in
the cockpit. The Venture 24 is rated at 8 adults. Big boat..big
cockpit..party barge.

cringe Well, have fun!

Fortunately she is potty training herself..but I hate the smell of
diapers in an enclosed space..almost as much as I hate finding diapers
in parking lots...latinos here dump em anywhere handy..anywhere except
trash cans.

Think of it as putting a machine shop in a small garage or cargo
container..where you cant drill holes in the walls..least not
easily...LOL

Welll, clams for running lines through the top of the cabin are
available all over the place. Being on the roof, it is as far from
the water as possible, and clams are rainproof, wot?

Clams? Clam Cleats?

http://content.answcdn.com/main/cont...g/f0059-02.png

No, clam watertight bulkhead feedthrus. It was one of the things
which came up on the "also bought" list when I was looking at antennas
for you. Farkin' marine terminology. When I searched for "feedthru"
I got nothing, and "feedthrough" gave me trim tab kits and thrusters.

Oh..ayup. " Cable Clams" There are good ones..and big ones and small
ones.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...-/4,44878.html

None of them require penetrating the watertight structure..they just
grab the rope and keep it from moving.

Im rigging the Windrose 18 to be a "single handed sailer" which means
everything comes back to the cockpit so I dont have to crawl all over
the top of the boat to raise/lower (3) sails, adjust sail trim, raise
and lower the centerboard, steer, grab a Dew from the cooler, chat on
the radio(s), change to a new music source etc etc etc.

The older I get, the less I listen to music. I prefer the silence (or
my tinnitus) to noise any day. I got out some records the other week
and realized it had been about a year since I listened to any. Once I
broke the TV habit, music was next. I do listen to music in the
truck, though. But on long trips, I often go hours without. Earplugs
in and pedal to the metal. YeeeeeHaw! g

Same here. Ive got a decent AM/FM stereo out in the shop..and only
remember to turn it on if Im out there for more than an hour. In the
vehicle..its usually talk radio. But....my boats are very suitable for
getting laid in...so music is required..

In that case, by all means, install one! I had forgotten about the
"Wanna go to the submarine races?" aspect of boating. My bad.

Hard to do that on a Bass Boat..unless the lady(s) like to frisk in
the open on a very big stage.

Thats half the fun of doing a restoration/upgrade......the boats came
out of the factory back in the 60s/70s/80s rigged as simple and as
cheaply as possible to meet buyers ability to pay and a lot of Stuff
then, was not considered a necessity as it is today (cooler, music
radio, batteries to run all the electronics..a charger and solar panel
to keep them charged...etc etc Hell..finding a place for a laptop
was never an issue way back then..it can be today with all the
computer navigation systems in everybodys hands (which I wont be
needing..until I go to the ocean for a week)

(Grin)

You can get a nice portable 120w solar setup w/ controller for $235.
Well, plus battery and wiring. Speaking of batteries, I'd been
wondering how long it had been since I replaced my Tundra battery.
I don't remember doing it in the past 4 years, so I figured it was
getting time. Well, upon opening the hood, I found that it was the
original 2007 battery in there. I grabbed a new one (84mo Premium)
for $69 and decided to add the old one to the solar setup I have for
the rest of its lifetime. The core ding is only $12, and if it
doesn't last, I can always return it for the core charge. That's one
good battery!

I need (3) Series 24 or 27 Deep Cycle batteries. One for each boat. I
have a decent Chicom battery charger/solar switcher..
Tests well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-MPPT-Sol...-/171112316078

You realize that's a PWM with an MPPT silkscreen, don't you? But for
small solar systems, PWM works damnear as well, so don't sweat it.
I have one deep cycle for my solar system now. $89 at Wally World.
They're all 3-year, though. Batteries made for solar systems are all
over $1k apiece, but they're guaranteed for a decade.

Ayup..was aware of it..and for the price..who cares?

just need solar cells. Ive got (8) that are 14x36" and put out 6
volts each. So if I double them up..in to a 36x36" panel...its a big
****ing thing to try to hang somewhere on the ass end of a boat. No
place else to put em. Im probably going to build an array here at the
homestead this summer and put them all into one package..run 48 volts
out of them into a battery bank. with an inverter. Replace one of my
backup gensets. We have something like 300 days of full sun here
every year..keeping batteries charged is not..not a problem.

Yeah, using them for the homestead is a better idea. Taft is an ideal
spot for solar.

Yah think? (Grin)

Google search: "solar cell sailboat" and then hit "Images"

So Im needing a small 45 watt panel for the little Windrose 18. The
big Venture 24..not a problem with the big panels Ive got. They can go
on top of the Pop Top

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/solar...t-43892541.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that your hatch isn't as large as that one. g

On the Venture 24...it almost is.

I need to start haunting the surplus electronic places again and see
what turns up. Ill find something.

The HF 45w kits all put out 19v apiece, but that array is nearly 4x4'.
You don't have room on a sailboat for that much wattage. Maybe stick
with a single 15w panel. If you use power sparingly (all LED
lighting, etc.) it should suffice. DO go for a 12+ volt system,
though. They're much more efficient for small battery-based charging
systems.

Ayup..some of the new flexible panels would work very well on the
boat..they dont stick up .5" and are pretty rugged.

Gunner, who is recovering from having 9 teeth pulled Monday along with
jaw bone grinding in preperation for dentures

My time for that is fast approaching. sigh Best of luck wi dat.
I understand that finding a good person to reline them is the key to a
happy life after dentures. (I don't doubt that we'll do that fitting
and relining ourselves in the near future. Do you?)

Ill wait at least 2 months from now before getting fitted for
dentures. It will give my mouth a chance to heal and to move around
until its reached the shape its gonna be for the rest of my life.

Just use your blender until then. Take a full course meal, add hot
water, and grind it into soup for each meal. It tastes good. BTDT.

Ayup.

Wife had her uppers done..hummm 20 yrs ago...waited 6 months before
being fitted..still wearing the same dentures, no lining etc etc
needed. The dentist wanted to pull my teeth and then slap in the
moulds...and I told him not just no..but hell no! I told him I only
wanted to buy em once...not a bunch of times. He nodded and laughed in
agreement.

I'll definitely have to remember to do that myself when the time
comes.

Ive been functional for the past 10 or so years with less than 9
teeth..I dont smile much..but it didnt break me financially either.
Now Im on state insurance...least until I find a better job..so Im
getting everything done that I can. I havent heard from the people
who I interviewed with for that Ross For Less warehouse maint job.

Ditto with 18 left.

Take care of them. Massive doses of Tetracycline killed my teeth.
The new stuff today doesnt do that anymore.

I suspect..they want someone younger...hence my earlier posting about
age discrimination..IE that link. They were/are hiring (4) maint guys
and I was told I was on the top of the list...but..neither I nor the
headhunter has heard back from them..so I suspect they found someone
half as skilled..but half the age. Shrug

They don't realize what they're missing in hiring us old guys, do
they? Experience is both priceless and irreplaceable. So many of the
old, pre-technological age data we store will be lost when we're gone
and when (not if) the SHTF and technology is gone, they're going to be
in a world of ****e.

I was hoping for the job..its only 34 miles one way..but I didnt cut
any of my customers loose as of yet...so Im still doing what I was
doing before the interview.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke