Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody got lengths of RG8x or 58A coax?

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 06:32:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:10:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Will these work?

This one is an AM/FM music type radio antenna
http://tinyurl.com/mrwckra

Yeah, I wondered about the termination connector. g

This one is a proper marine antenna.
http://tinyurl.com/popbjpl

Something to keep in mind...is deck space.

My little Windrose 18 is only 18 feet long. The deck has the mast, all
the shrouds, the rudder, the outboard motor, the jib/genoa sail
sweeping the forward 1/3-1/2 of the deck, the movable hatchway,
any/all ropes and lines that come to the cockpit..and the cockpit
itself.

How far away from the mast does the antenna have to be? Could you put
it close to the mast (just forward) and maybe put a guide around it to
keep the genoa or jib off it?

There are wide open spaces on top of the deck......until there isnt
as the sail sweeps that portion of the deck while changing
directionis. It can get pretty busy up there so far as space to put
Stuff attached to the boat. Add a bbq to the stern of the boat..
http://www.magmaproducts.com/
(one of my clients btw)

Prolly not more than $8 or $10k, eh?

fishing rod holders, grandchildren to hold said rods, sodas, an
outboard motor and its controls (and fuel tank), fenders, other lines
(to hold the fenders and to tie to the dock) etc etc, rails and safety
lines (grand kids remember) and places one can put Stuff have to be
plotted out pretty carefuly.

This doesnt include futzing with boat trim either...weight forward/to
the stern/port/starboard etc etc

That also means an anchor (generally on the bow pulpit and the rope
its attached to...lol) and so forth. Add a couple kids or
adults..and it can get really cozy for space to mount stuff

So putting the antenna on top of the mast (with the wind direction
indicator, any wind Speed sensors etc etc) can help clear up
some..some space down on deck

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/articl...oat%20mast.jpg

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/sw/1...update_368.jpg

http://uk.boats.com/boat-content/201...r-deck-layout/

If sailboats were like bass boats...laugh..it would be easy to stick
Stuff anywhere you want it.

Like cup holders?

Half the fun of rigging a sailboat is doing it effiently so one can go
sailing without ripping the bbq out of the deck and tossing it into
the water..or ripping one of the grand kids OFF the deck and pitching
it into the water (Grin)

Then there is cabin layout..inside...another interesting
challenge...lol
Ice chests, stove, sleeping layouts, spare sails, fishing rods, nets,
portapotti, sleeping bags, clothing, electrical gear (AM/FM/MP3 stereo
system, VHF radio, CB radio, batteries, chargers, solar panels,
diapers (blech!) etc etc.

Who needs diapers and other noise on a sailboat?

Think of it as putting a machine shop in a small garage or cargo
container..where you cant drill holes in the walls..least not
easily...LOL

Welll, clams for running lines through the top of the cabin are
available all over the place. Being on the roof, it is as far from
the water as possible, and clams are rainproof, wot?

Im rigging the Windrose 18 to be a "single handed sailer" which means
everything comes back to the cockpit so I dont have to crawl all over
the top of the boat to raise/lower (3) sails, adjust sail trim, raise
and lower the centerboard, steer, grab a Dew from the cooler, chat on
the radio(s), change to a new music source etc etc etc.

The older I get, the less I listen to music. I prefer the silence (or
my tinnitus) to noise any day. I got out some records the other week
and realized it had been about a year since I listened to any. Once I
broke the TV habit, music was next. I do listen to music in the
truck, though. But on long trips, I often go hours without. Earplugs
in and pedal to the metal. YeeeeeHaw! g

Thats half the fun of doing a restoration/upgrade......the boats came
out of the factory back in the 60s/70s/80s rigged as simple and as
cheaply as possible to meet buyers ability to pay and a lot of Stuff
then, was not considered a necessity as it is today (cooler, music
radio, batteries to run all the electronics..a charger and solar panel
to keep them charged...etc etc Hell..finding a place for a laptop
was never an issue way back then..it can be today with all the
computer navigation systems in everybodys hands (which I wont be
needing..until I go to the ocean for a week)

(Grin)

You can get a nice portable 120w solar setup w/ controller for $235.
Well, plus battery and wiring. Speaking of batteries, I'd been
wondering how long it had been since I replaced my Tundra battery.
I don't remember doing it in the past 4 years, so I figured it was
getting time. Well, upon opening the hood, I found that it was the
original 2007 battery in there. I grabbed a new one (84mo Premium)
for $69 and decided to add the old one to the solar setup I have for
the rest of its lifetime. The core ding is only $12, and if it
doesn't last, I can always return it for the core charge. That's one
good battery!

Gunner, who is recovering from having 9 teeth pulled Monday along with
jaw bone grinding in preperation for dentures

My time for that is fast approaching. sigh Best of luck wi dat.
I understand that finding a good person to reline them is the key to a
happy life after dentures. (I don't doubt that we'll do that fitting
and relining ourselves in the near future. Do you?)

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand