Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Anybody got lengths of RG8x or 58A coax?

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 8:07:20 PM UTC-5, John wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

What do you suggest for this application?

RG8 is the better choice of the two. It's usually foam-core, and low-loss.
It's also got a little faster (lower) velocity factor than RG58, making it
lower-loss over a given length of run.

Ham radio rule-of-thumb: Even with cheap, homebrew antennae, NEVER skip on
the feed-line. Use the best you can afford, because most of your operating
power losses are there, not in the antenna.

LLoyd

A length of 3/4" helix is would solve all your problems.

John

I have a hundred feet of that in storage left over from a cell repeater job. I don't think Gunner could even afford the connectors, let alone the cable.