Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default tool Chatter on 3-axis router

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:30:47 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 6:25:20 PM UTC+1, jon_banquer wrote:
On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 11:29:02 PM UTC-8, robobass wrote:
Doesnt it feel good to do it the right way?

(VBG)

OH Yeah Baby!

When you have rigidity most of your problem go away or are much easier to diagnose.

Well, you only get so much rigidity with a machine like this. You have to learn to work around it. Now I've discovered that the MDF table is not exactly on the X-Y plane of the spindle. Surprise!. I didn't discover this until I ran an array of 24 parts. It wasn't off enough do destroy the job, but I can easily correct it by facing the mounting plate before I make the next run. Yes, it's not a knee mill, but with care and tweaking I can cut brass. I paid 3.5K for a fully set up CNC with about 25" x 30" x 5" XYZ travel, and I don't need riggers to move it. Works for me. I don't need to cut steel though.

Is the MDF not level (it actually is pretty good stuff) or is the
machine not plumb? Note..that the farther out from an unlevel machine
you go..the worse the alignment gets. So align your machine
first!...then worry about the table tops flatness. MDF is pretty good
stuff for this sort of work. Its usually within .001-.002 or less.
Ive used some that was .0005. Damned near as level as a surface plate.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke