Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight for the Strategic Shopper

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 06:03:18 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 03:56:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:54:47 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:06:12 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 04:50:54 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 03:58:24 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:34:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

My "good" meter is a Mastech MS8209. 'Taint a Fluke, but I don't need
one. I've happily used the sound meter, thermocouple, LUX meter
(recently on LEDs to test relative output/efficiency), and love the
beeping ohmeter. The clamp-on has a beeper, too.

Sigh..my hearing has so many holes in it..I generally cant hear
beeping anymore. I went for a hearing test some years ago..and the
tech stood there reading the printout..looked up, blinked..and asked
if Id had a serious head injury. My hearing results looked like it
had been shot with a shotgun.

That, and too many rifle and handgun rounds, eh? Or do you wear ear
protection on the range? Suckage about your hearing holes and not
being able to hear the beeps. I adore that function of the VOMs,
especially for repetitive testing in tight places.

I was the recipient of a H&I round of 155 mm arty which lodged a bit
of driving band in my skull and shredded both of my eardrums.

Friendly fire? Bummer!

Its never friendly. And it was fired by our Arvin brothers, or so they
told me. Probably under the orders of some half stoned American cannon
cocker...

sigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBl9cwanbI

Jayzuss! You can really hear the shrapnel whizzing on by, can't you?
Well, if you weren't hit by it and had your eardrums shredded. Crazy,
mon!

Oh hell yes you can hear it. I dont remember the round that hit me..I
have a half memory of a bright flash and then a day or so of being
jostled around a lot. My Chu Hoi got me to a firebase..they stuck me
on a slick and sent me to Saigon..then on to Honchu Japan where they
cracked open my skull and pulled the little ******* out of my skull. I
was blind and paralysed for over a week after coming out of the
surgery. Id planned on doing myself in first chance I could..then
things started working again. Got everything back within a month or
so. Learned what a rat**** Letterman Hospital was in 1973 the hard
way.

Suckage.

I haven't even opened it yet. A little RF dimmer switch with remote
came in the mail today and I soldered a jack to the LED string. It
works beautifully with the (low light) single 3528s. I'll be using it
on one of these strings: hi-dens 3528 (120/m) or single 5630s (60/m
or 300 per 5m string.) It cost $2.82 with free shipping from
Shenzen, China. New switching (vs xfrm) wall wart p/s are $2.60 with
free shipping. Get a couple of the dimmers and keep one in your
pocket, the other velcroed to the bulkhead of your fave boat and have
mood lighting. High for reading, low for lurking. Go 5050 or 5630
for the brightness, though a single string of 3528s would light up
that little cabin pretty nicely, I'll bet.

Doing just that is high on my list. Saturday Im fiberglassing the
rudder, which I turned into a "lifting rudder" last weekend. Just a
few more things to do..not much at all. This has been an easy
restoration. Now comes the gold plating and fun stuff to make it
"nice". Installing the marine radio, stereo system, carpeting the
walls..I think she is going to be my "regular" boat.

Gold plating the terlit seat, no doubt?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2/Windrose1802

Where will you _ever_ find replacement carpet in that color?

No where. That was the original carpet under there in 1976, Thats
where the porta ****ter goes and is generally hidden. Ill find some
thin gray indoor/outdoor and rubber cement it to the sides of the
hull. Just to make it softer and more comfy when spending a weekend
out on her. Soon as I get the rudder finished, while waiting for the
glass to cure, Ill start on the racks/shelves at the rear of the cabin
behind the cockpit. I brought home some marine plywood last night,
just some bits and pieces big enough to make Stuff out of. About a
half sheet. Ill go out in the morning take measurements, figure out
what Im trying to accomplish then lay it out and start up the table
saw. Fortunately this boat is a trailer sailer..so will be spending
most of her time on dry land where its dry...so I dont have to get as
fancy fiberglassing and sealing the woodwork (plywood..not teak). If
it lasts for 10 yrs, Ill be happy. That Venture 24 is going to be
something of a palace when its done, else Ill have found a different
bigger boat (inside) Im just teaching myself to do restorations and
have fun and spend little money while doing it. Just a hobby..nothing
more.

The Aglient DVM was working last time I used it. It isnt now?
Dont remember if we tried it or not when you were here.

I don't recall, either, but it's not.

Whats it doing or not doing?

No pretty lights upon powerup.

Hummm,..,try a different power cord.

Is it possible to get replacement batteries for the 422, um, on _our_
kind of budget? Or should I pop an $18 7ah glass mat SLA in there,
for use off-grid? I need to get some contact cleaner for that
intensity switch, too. It drops out from about 0-80% brightness, then
blinks on a bit too bright, though the focus helps reduce the phosphor
bloom a bit.

You would have to build/rebuild the battery pack. IRRC they were
Nicads. There is a fair amount of info on the net, it being one of the
more popular older Tektronix scopes. Subscribe to the Tektronics
group(s) on Yahoo Groups and ask around as well.

This might help

http://elektrotanya.com/tektronix_42.../download.html

http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/tek...r%20Supply.pdf

BTDT, haven't yet read them front to back.

Get some tuner cleaner and spritz the pot. Its just dirty.

That was my first thought.

Remember..I did offer you newer and much nicer scopes...shrug

Yabbut, they were larger and AC only.

True indeed. I did have a smaller one that runs on batts..but it is
only a 2mhz scope

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke