Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Got a question for y'all

Gerry wrote:
Just bought a new 9x40 mill/drill from Bolton Hardware to replace my
old round column Grizzly. I never was happy with the base on the
Grizzly. Wobbled too much when cranking on the table or headstock.
Just set my new mill up on it's stand and have the same problem. I
put adjustable feet in an effort to be sure things were level but now
I am thinking that that was a mistake. Seems the base flexes at the
mounting point of the feet. On the Grizzly, the mounting points
eventually failed because of this. So here's my question-what is the
most reasonably simple way to support a 900# mill drill on cement. I
would like to be able to move it in the future but I am starting to
think that a pad of epoxy grout or cement is the only way that I will
get things stable. I'm thinking a bolt through each mounting hole
with a nut and washer top and bottom then a couple inches of
grout/cement poured under the base. Then level with shims between the
mill/drill and it's base? What does the collective wisdom of the
group suggest? Thanks in advance!

Weld up a base out of square tube that matches the mills base. Drill 4
holes through it where you can access them. Drill 4 matching holes in
your floor. Install threaded sleeve anchors. set the mill in place and
shim the mount and bolt it down. No more wobble. That style insert can
then be left in place with nothing sticking up.

--
Steve W.